At least 43 people were killed after two blasts hit the southern suburbs of Beirut on Thursday. At least 239 people were wounded, according to Lebanon’s health ministry.
In a statement posted online, Islamic State (IS) claimed responsibility for the blasts.
The explosions hit the Shia neighborhood of Burj el-Barajneh, a Hezbollah stronghold in the Lebanese capital.
Media outlets reported that the blasts were caused by two suspected suicide bombers.
The two bombings hit a community center and at a nearby bakery. Interior Minister Nouhad Machnouk said a third suicide bomber had been killed by one of the explosions.
Bilal Farhat, a Hezbollah official, described the bombings to the Associated Press as a “satanic, terrorist attack.”
“They targeted civilians, worshippers, unarmed people, women and elderly, they only targeted innconcent people,” he said.
The Shia-Hezbollah movement has sent forces into Syria in support of the President Bashar al Assad. This is the first major attack on a Hezbollah stronghold since several explosions took place in 2014.
The attack, one of the deadliest to hit the country in years, will undoubtedly reawaken fears inside Lebanon that the conflict in neighboring Syria will spread inside its own borders.
The bombing was the deadliest to hit Beirut itself since the civil war ended in 1991.
The government announced that a national day of mourning will be held in Lebanon on Friday.